06/09/2021 - 18:12
The connection of underground cellars in Aranda de Duero constitutes the most extensive of those known to date in the Ribera del Duero, with more than 7 km of galleries, all of them on the same level, with communications that allow ventilation and, sometimes, access from one gallery to another.
This connection of tunnels or galleries was excavated between the 12th and 18th centuries (a large part of the complex was built in the last quarter of the 15th century), highlighting the use of the semicircular arch resolved in ashlar stone to protect the vaults of its galleries. They have a depth of between 8 and 12 meters and probably a constant temperature of between 10 and 12º all year round, in addition to the absence of humidity, stillness and lack of vibrations, optimal for wine conservation.
06/09/2021 - 12:25
The “Barrio de Bodegas Subterráneas” in Vadocondes (Burgos) is actually made up of two quarters: "the one above" and "the one below". Both are located on a separate hillside from the urban area, just on the opposite side of the national road through which the municipality is accessed.
This quarter of underground cellars stands out for its traditional presses, a great regional reference. The “zarceras” that appear on the hillside attest to the underground reality, in whose naves brick arches predominate.
In 2017 this quarter of underground cellars was promoted by the Vadocondes City Council through the architect Alfredo Sanz Sanza and it was cataloged:
78 underground cellars, with an average length of 33 meters, reaching a total distance of 2.5 km. The cellars are arranged on two levels of superimposed galleries, at a depth between 1 and 5 meters.
13/01/2020 - 14:10
Building built in stone in the thirteenth century, with reforms in the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries. It has a single nave covered with wood. The tower at the head, in stone, has only one body.
Tower of a stone body, very solid, of baroque style, located above the head of the parish church. Double windows open in semicircular arches on the east side and unique windows on the south and north sides. The west side is made of brick and has a small opening to access the roof. Next to the tower is the spiral staircase, made of stone, which ascends to the interior of the Tower. Its access is from a small door next to the presbytery, together with the cords to ring the two bells.
During 2009 and 2010 a complete restoration of the church tower was carried out, looking today with a cleaner image.
13/01/2020 - 13:57
Church of transition from Romanesque to Gothic with numerous later modifications. On the outside, the belfry flaps with a striking five-bell body. The interior features the Romanesque toral arch resting on beautiful medieval capitals and the sculptural ensemble of the Descent, the work of a master imager with a strong personality.
13/01/2020 - 13:34
Temple built according to the canons of baroque architecture of the second half of the 17th century. It may have replaced an older church, probably Romanesque. It seems that the traces of the building were originally of Latin cross, although the project remained unfinished and the arms of the transept were not raised. At the foot of the nave, close to the western end, stands a tower of two bodies, with masonry walls with ashlars reinforcing corners and openings. The lower body is solid and ends in a marked cornice that supports the upper body, where large semicircular arches are opened to house the bells. The original tower collapsed and was rebuilt in the early forties of the last century.
13/01/2020 - 13:09
A Romanesque-Gothic building dating from the 13th century, with reforms in the 16th and 18th centuries. It has two naves, separated by pillars, which support semicircular arches and covered with ceiling vaults with plasterworks. High choir, at the foot.
It is accessed by a doorway, on the Gospel side, in a Romanesque arch. The tower, located at the feet, is built in stone and has three bodies. The main altarpiece, a baroque work from the 17th century, is also outstanding in its internal.
22/10/2019 - 14:06
Built in the early eighteenth century by Antonio García and Diego de Arce, the enclosure contains a beautiful Gothic image of the Virgin of Nava.
Formed by a transept, belfry, a single nave, choir, sacristy, brick vault, three baroque altarpieces, pulpit and lateral altarpieces dedicated to San Antonio de Padua and San José.
In the center is the main altarpiece of Nuestra Señora de Nava from 1720, clad in a nervously carved ornamentation, where figures of angels and putis and Salomonic columns are observed.
The image of Our Lady of Nava is on a golden wooden float. In front of the cart are the four evangelists: San Marcos (León), San Lucas (Toro), San Mateo (Ángel) and San Juan (Aguila).
22/10/2019 - 13:57
Baroque church, built on an earlier one in the 17th century. It is a church with a living room plan, with three naves (the largest wider than those on the sides), choir with Baroque organ, chapel of La Soledad on the north face, Main chapel with Baroque altarpiece in the Presbytery and Baroque sacristy on the south side. Tower-Bell tower of the seventeenth century containing 6 bells dated between 1716, 1732, 1745, 1758, 1877 and 1980.
The doorway is sheltered under an arch that ends in a curious balustrade; the tower, situated at the head, is crowned with a small belfry. The large eyeglasses that appear on the façade and the cemetery with its trees make up an unusual picture.
The foundation stone was laid in the main chapel on June 12, 1653, and the main part of the temple was finished in 1663.
11/10/2019 - 10:28
The history of the monastery dates back to two years after the death of Santo Domingo (1221). Blessed Manés built a chapel at his brother’s birthplace, Domingo. In 1266, King Alfonso X the Wise, related to the Guzmán, had a Gothic church built. Years later, the manor house was transformed into a convent, moving to this, a community of nuns of San Esteban de Gormaz (Soria) who receive the privilege of Lordship of the place.
In the 16th century a new church was built and the original chapel and the head of the Gothic church were destroyed, leaving the remains as a choir of the nuns. The church of the monastery is made of ashlar stone, with a single nave and cruciform plan. In the northern part is the access door with a baroque doorway. The main altarpiece has three canvases by Blas de Cervera (1594-1643), representing scenes from the saint’s life, and crowned by a wooden calvary from the Gregorio Fernández School.
11/10/2019 - 10:04
The Dominican Fathers' Convent began to be built in 1952, taking care that the type of construction did not clash with the structure and austerity of the Royal Monastery. Except for the top on the corners with squat towers, it looks like one.
The building was built around the Torreón, remaining in the courtyard of the convent. Another remnant of the former ancestral home of the Santo family is the Winery of Beata Juana de Aza, mother of Santo Domingo. The winery is a rectangular vaulted space where, according to documents, Doña Juana performed the miracle of the multiplication of the wine vat to distribute it to the most needy. For this reason she was canonized. A relief in alabaster by Andrew M. Abelenda recalls the fact.