Puente Mayor de Roa de Duero
Three generously-spaced arches have welcomed the town of Roa for many years, until the construction of the new bridge, doubling the entrance to Roa from the left bank of the river. Located at the foot of the fortified Raudense hill, the MAYOR bridge of Roa begins the route with a curve ending on the south bank, between the San Roque humiliation and the old Red Cross post, which once was the box for the pontazgo charge. The collection of this tax, as well as the exclusive contribution of the neighbors, allowed its repair from the mid-fifteenth century until the nineteenth century.
There is no evidence that the current bridge replaced a possible Roman bridge over the Duero, but of the modifications it has undergone, eventually having seven arches. After floods and consequent deterioration of the bridge, it is again insisted on its repair after the crisis of the War of Succession, despite the opposition of the town of Aranda, which he considered to be superfluous works. But little had to be done until General Zariategui partially destroyed it, being repaired provisionally, reducing the number of its arches to four, a fact that is in question (currently there are three arches that comprise it).
Today, the PUENTE MAYOR de Roa is a symbol of this town in Burgos, and shows arches and piles redone after a great reconstruction that rebuilt the supports in 1923.
You can see the rest of the BRIDGES here.