Church of Santa María La Mayor
It is the most representative element of the town of Peñalba de San Esteban.
Its factory, of plastered ashlar, is from the late fifteenth or early sixteenth century. It is a single nave and flat headboard temple to which on its north side has been attached a sacristy and on its south side a funeral chapel where the heraldry of D. Juan Sebastián and Ana Otañez (1621) is located. At the foot of the temple rises a bell tower.
However, the most characteristic of this temple is its pork gallery. Located to the south, it is conetánea of the temple and is an example of the inertia experienced by this architectural typology of the Sorian Romanesque (and originated in the Church of San Miguel de San Esteban de Gormaz), which lasted until Renaissance times.
It is not, therefore, a Romanesque portique gallery, as we had always thought, but Renaissance, although one of the best of its style.
It seems that the oldest part of the temple is its cover with a half-point arch and light flaring, probably from the fourteenth century, being the part that has remained of the previous factory.
The altarpiece dates from 1566 and is the work of Francisco de Logroño.
Its baptismal font is Tardorromanic.