Ex Colegiata de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción
The Ex-Collegiate Church of Ntra. Sra. de la Asunción is the most emblematic building of Roa. Located in the Plaza Mayor of the Villa, it still lets us appreciate, in the street El Fresco, Romanesque remains of earlier factories, as well as a Gothic portal presided over by the Christ Majesty as Pantocrator.
Towards 1530-1540 the construction of the current temple begins according to the type of moment: church of plant of living room with three ships at the same height. It has vaults of crucería and warped, supported by wide columns of beautiful grooves grooved in its upper part.
It belongs to the group of churches of "Gothic - Renaissance transition style", according to Lampérez and Romea. The Castilian centers tenaciously resist to give way to the Renaissance, although they were slowly admitting classical elements in the decoration. The constructions are already within the new style, but retaining the medieval inspiration. This art is not decadent Gothic but magnificent bud, but late, that maintains the slenderness and the refinement of the forms. All the doors and windows are taking the semicircular lines in substitution of the gothic warhead.
The current temple was completed in the mid-sixteenth century under the hands of Pedro de Rasines and by order of the County of Siruela, lords of the town. This Collegiate Church had the support of the Bishop of Osma, a decisive impulse for its construction.
The interior does not leave the visitor indifferent. The harmony of the structure joins the sobriety that prevails in many Castilian temples and allows glimpse the importance of this building in other times. The High Altar is of neoclassical style, housing in contrast a 13th century Gothic Christ. The living room floor distributes three more chapels to its flanks: Capilla del Sagrario with wrought iron gate from the 16th century, Chapel of La Inmaculada or Burgos, and finally, Capilla de los Borja.
Clean walls that house such beautiful and diverse pieces as a 14th century Romanesque baptismal font, a predella of Gothic altarpiece or a sculptural set of the Adoration of the Kings carved in wood and attributed to Gil de Siloé.
This building, witness to numerous historical events, marriages, funerals and executions, is an essential visit during your visit to ROA DE DUERO.