Sotillo de la Ribera
Sotillo de la Ribera, former manor of the Duke of Lerma, is a municipality of 636 inhabitants, which has a typically riverside landscape, with abundant vineyards and wineries of the XVII-XVIII centuries. During the reign of Charles III, this villa - benefited by the economic boom of wine - knew its years of splendor, whose materialization is possible to contemplate in the elegant vaulted buildings, among which the Town Hall, the Casa de la Botica and the Large House Palace of the Serrano. The Sta. Águeda Parish Church "of the best of the Bishopric" is also ended during this period.
In addition to these distinguished buildings, in Sotillo de la Ribera we can find:
- Fountain and watering hole: Both of stone are finished in 1727, and it is a clear antecment of the illustrated performances. It is a functional work not without technical complexity. Located to the left of the old royal road, it replaces an earlier fountain ordered to be built by the Duke of Lerma.
- Sculptures: Sizes of Amancio Calvo, a mixture of religiosity, sensitivity and humanity. We find them in various corners and spaces of Sotillo de la Ribera.
- Underground wineries: They have a reputation for being one of the best in the Ribera. Open on Mount St. George, they are ordered on three levels around a conical hill. They are long galleries carved into the earth, many with beautiful stone vaults, where it rests, between darkness and silence the wine.
Currently Sotillo de la Ribera is a prosperous town, has eight wineries making Ribera del Duero wine (two of which are on the Wine Route), two tourist accommodations, a factory of sausages and sausages, a restaurant, four bars, etc.History, art, traditions, hiking, wine tourism and exquisite gastronomy complete the offer that this town offers the traveler.
Gentilicio de Sotillo de la Ribera: sotillanos.
Sotillo de la Ribera has a TOURISM OFFICE.