The municipality of Zazuar is located in the Ribera del Duero, 12 km north-east of Aranda de Duero, south of the province of Burgos. Its main river course is the river Arandilla (tributary of the Duero) and the highest point of the municipality is the Alto de la Casa, with 916 meters above sea level. The municipality has a surface area of 22,6 km2, mainly dedicated to the cultivation of vine, cereal and pine, sabine and oak forest.
Zazuar has a population of 256, although this figure is multiplied during the summer, well over a thousand people.
The main points of interest are:
- Important group of wineries in the interior of the village. Many of them date from the seventeenth century.
- Church of San Andrés. Large church begun in the 16th century and whose construction lasted about two centuries.
- Hermitage of San Vitores. The Statutes of the Confraternity of San Vitores date from the 17th century.
- Justice roll in the town’s main square.
- Agricultural landscape of great ecological value formed by small plots, mountain, riverside vegetation, walnut trees, ribazos, vines, wasteland, etc
In relation to the gastronomy we can taste a great variety of products:
- Those of porcine origin: black pudding, chorizo, loin, ham, etc., produced in traditional massacres.
- Lamb roasted in a wood-burning oven or, as is more typical in the village, grilled lamb loins roasted on the ground on a branch ember.
The typical dance of the municipality is the so-called "Milano Danza".
The festivities are celebrated in honour of Santa Isabel and San Andrés:
- Festivities of Saint Elizabeth (from 1 to 4 July). On 2 July we celebrate the main day of the feast and the procession of the meeting of the Virgin Mary with Saint Elizabeth. Throughout the procession many of the zazuarins dance backwards to the virgin to the sound of the dulzaina and drum.
- Festivities of San Andrés (November 30): The Confraternity after Mass gives out the typical anise bread to neighbors and visitors.
Other festivities are as follows:
- Fiesta de San Vitores (August 28): The Confraternity after the Mass celebrated in the hermitage of the same name, throws plums and sweets among the people of the village in the so-called =repelea.
- Cultural week: takes place during the third week of August.
Gentilicio of Zazuar: zazuarino/zazuarina