Ribera del Duero

ºC

Weather in Ribera

26 may 2020

Church of St.Ginés

Rural

English

Cultural resource

English

Monument

English




It is located in the center of the town. The temple has two naves separated by two half-point arches that rest in pilasters. The main nave is covered with par and row roof of Mudejar tradition, with heraldry, typical of the sixteenth century, reused this in the complete transformation that the church underwent in the eighteenth century. A Baroque swordsman was built on the western fait. In 1814 the interior of the building was completely rebuilt. The portique gallery, the cover and the ledge of the southern wall remain from the primitive Romanesque factory. In fact, the portico is visible from 2001, at which time its arches are opened, until then blinded, as can be seen in the photographs. The blinded portico of ashlar had been used as a storage room. Today there are five arches in and the start of a sixth that must have been shattered during one of the temple reforms. It follows that the southern side of the portico has six arches, three on each side of the cover, although one of them has been lost and another one closing on the western side. It is possible that there were also two arches closing the eastern side of the gallery, since you can see some vestige. The decoration of the capitals, which is now perfectly visible, represents animal and figurative motifs. From left to right on the southern front: in the first, a pair of birds with long necks intertwined next to a tree with spherical fruits, in the second, a centaur-sagittarius with its arrow pointing to a canid of two heads and a quadruped biting the legs to another, in the third three characters on a boat and Samson fighting the lion, in the fourth, two large quadrupeds, in the fifth a storyful scene of martyrdom in which a character naked and tied hands on a foal receives the suffering by three figu Ras. One of them tries to ston, but a woman stops him. The latter represents the lamb attacked by wolves.

 

The western-side capital shows two naked figures in front of a huge quadruped and an evil character.The cover, half-pointed, has three arches: inside rosettes of four petals inside circles, the central one with a pyramidal trunk and tips and the exterior with trunk, intern and balls of inscribed crosses.

 

The temple was parish until 1842.

 

The similarity of the cover of San Ginés to that of Saint Martin suggests that both temples are contemporaneous and mid-twelfth century.

 

 

Location

Suggestions

Winery
bodega

Restaurant
restaurante

Castrillo de la Vega

Hostal El Ventorro

Accommodation
alojamientos

Valcabado de Roa

Bodegas Traslascuestas

Shop
Tienda

Museums
museos

Leisure
ocio

Quintanilla de Onésimo

Bodegas Arzuaga Navarro