Monastery of Santo Domingo de Guzman
The history of the monastery dates back to two years after the death of Santo Domingo (1221). Blessed Manés built a chapel at his brother’s birthplace, Domingo. In 1266, King Alfonso X the Wise, related to the Guzmán, had a Gothic church built. Years later, the manor house was transformed into a convent, moving to this, a community of nuns of San Esteban de Gormaz (Soria) who receive the privilege of Lordship of the place.
In the 16th century a new church was built and the original chapel and the head of the Gothic church were destroyed, leaving the remains as a choir of the nuns. The church of the monastery is made of ashlar stone, with a single nave and cruciform plan. In the northern part is the access door with a baroque doorway. The main altarpiece has three canvases by Blas de Cervera (1594-1643), representing scenes from the saint’s life, and crowned by a wooden calvary from the Gregorio Fernández School.
In the sacristy of the church there is a Gothic Christ, and from this one descends to the Crypt that keeps the remains of Father Manuel Suarez in a funerary monument escorted by four monks, made in granite and alabaster by R. Lapayese. This crypt was built in the middle of the XX century, in it stands out the Pocito, which is a well that indicates the exact place in which Santo Domingo was born.
The Cloister was built between the 13th and 15th centuries (late Romanesque). It preserves the remains of the different stages of its construction, such as the lower cloister with semicircular arches on paired columns, a gothic ogival door and the eighteenth-century over-cloister built in brick.
The Museum, housed in a Gothic room, offers pieces of high artistic and historical interest, including polychrome stone carvings of the Virgin and the Herald Angel.
The historical treasure is in the Monacal Archive, where papal bulls, letters, privileges of kings, filmed documents, letters of San Raimundo de Peñafort, etc. The oldest document dates from the 10th century.