05/07/2019 - 11:06
The Convent of the Dominican Fathers began to be built in 1952, taking care that the type of construction did not clash with the structure and austerity of the Royal Monastery.
Except for the auction in the corners with chalked towers, it seems all one. The building was built around the Tower, leaving it in the courtyard of the convent. Another rest of the old manor house of the Santo family is the Bodega de la Beata Juana de Aza, mother of Santo Domingo.
27/05/2019 - 14:24
The castle of Peñafiel began to rise in the tenth century, although its current appearance is the product of important interventions that took place during the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. This medieval fortress was declared a National Monument in 1917 and today it has become an emblem for the enotourism of the Ribera del Duero.
Peñafiel together with his castle constituted a fundamental point in the defensive line of the Duero, both for Christians and Muslims back in the 9th and 10th centuries. From the hill, the castle dominated the valleys of the Duero, Duratón and Botijas rivers, and protected to the population.
27/07/2016 - 11:33
The Castle of Peñaranda de Duero is a great fortress that clearly dominates the hamlet, although the first defenses of Peñaranda could be raised simultaneously to its repopulation. Written data of the Castle take us to the year 1100, but it is in the XVI century when the Zúñiga family gives it the current aspect.
Inside the visitor will find in the Tower of Homage, a center of interpretation of the border castles, and you can see, from its viewpoint, one of the most beautiful villages on the banks of the Douro.
09/05/2016 - 19:13
The wine museum is installed in the Peñafiel castle and was designed by the architect Roberto Valle González. The south patio houses different spaces of the museum and consists of three floors (ground floor, mezzanine and basement). The last floor is occupied by a research library, the reception room is intermediate and the tasting and tasting room is located on the ground floor.
The exhibition is a journey through the history and culture of wine, bringing the visitor closer to the techniques of production and elaboration. In the tasting room it is possible to carry out a guided tasting of various wines of the Denomination of Origin Ribera del Duero, as well as attending courses and professional tastings.
The visit is completed with the castle, built in the tenth century although the current factory is the XV. From it you can see the whole valley.