22/10/2019 - 14:06
Built in the early eighteenth century by Antonio García and Diego de Arce, the enclosure contains a beautiful Gothic image of the Virgin of Nava.
Formed by a transept, belfry, a single nave, choir, sacristy, brick vault, three baroque altarpieces, pulpit and lateral altarpieces dedicated to San Antonio de Padua and San José.
In the center is the main altarpiece of Nuestra Señora de Nava from 1720, clad in a nervously carved ornamentation, where figures of angels and putis and Salomonic columns are observed.
The image of Our Lady of Nava is on a golden wooden float. In front of the cart are the four evangelists: San Marcos (León), San Lucas (Toro), San Mateo (Ángel) and San Juan (Aguila).
22/10/2019 - 13:57
Baroque church, built on an earlier one in the 17th century. It is a church with a living room plan, with three naves (the largest wider than those on the sides), choir with Baroque organ, chapel of La Soledad on the north face, Main chapel with Baroque altarpiece in the Presbytery and Baroque sacristy on the south side. Tower-Bell tower of the seventeenth century containing 6 bells dated between 1716, 1732, 1745, 1758, 1877 and 1980.
The doorway is sheltered under an arch that ends in a curious balustrade; the tower, situated at the head, is crowned with a small belfry. The large eyeglasses that appear on the façade and the cemetery with its trees make up an unusual picture.
The foundation stone was laid in the main chapel on June 12, 1653, and the main part of the temple was finished in 1663.
11/10/2019 - 10:28
The history of the monastery dates back to two years after the death of Santo Domingo (1221). Blessed Manés built a chapel at his brother’s birthplace, Domingo. In 1266, King Alfonso X the Wise, related to the Guzmán, had a Gothic church built. Years later, the manor house was transformed into a convent, moving to this, a community of nuns of San Esteban de Gormaz (Soria) who receive the privilege of Lordship of the place.
In the 16th century a new church was built and the original chapel and the head of the Gothic church were destroyed, leaving the remains as a choir of the nuns. The church of the monastery is made of ashlar stone, with a single nave and cruciform plan. In the northern part is the access door with a baroque doorway. The main altarpiece has three canvases by Blas de Cervera (1594-1643), representing scenes from the saint’s life, and crowned by a wooden calvary from the Gregorio Fernández School.
11/10/2019 - 10:04
The Dominican Fathers' Convent began to be built in 1952, taking care that the type of construction did not clash with the structure and austerity of the Royal Monastery. Except for the top on the corners with squat towers, it looks like one.
The building was built around the Torreón, remaining in the courtyard of the convent. Another remnant of the former ancestral home of the Santo family is the Winery of Beata Juana de Aza, mother of Santo Domingo. The winery is a rectangular vaulted space where, according to documents, Doña Juana performed the miracle of the multiplication of the wine vat to distribute it to the most needy. For this reason she was canonized. A relief in alabaster by Andrew M. Abelenda recalls the fact.
11/10/2019 - 09:41
The parish church of San Sebastian, from the beginning of the 12th century, is in the Romanesque style. From its original structure remains the tower, part of the arch of the entrance door and a biforia window; and in its interior the presbytery of absidal form; totally renewed with a window at the end and a cornice of dice in all its perimeter.
It is also interesting the cover of three smooth arches, the central one resting on columns with simple Corinthian capitals. There is also a beautiful Christ hanging over the Romanesque altar. It is the site of the first burial of Blessed Juana de Aza, mother of Santo Domingo de Guzmán. In the small baptistery was baptized Santo Domingo. The baptismal font was transferred by Alfonso X to the convent of the nuns for safekeeping until 1605. Currently it is in the Monastery of the Dominican Mothers of Santo Domingo el Real , in Madrid, where members of the Spanish Royal House continue to be baptized.
07/10/2019 - 14:47
The hermitage of San Cosme and San Damián, is located on the north bank of the River Duero, somewhat far from the town center and omo its own indica name is dedicated to the patrons of our locality, the medical saints Cosme and Damian.
Although we do not know for sure its origin, it may have been associated with the mediaval population located in its vicinity since, in the report sent to the royal geographer Tomás López at the end of the eighteenth century, it is affirmed ".... which is very old and its chapel manifests itself to be of the times of the Goths....". In any case, in its current state, it is a building erected at various times in history from the lower Medieval period until the nineteenth century.
07/10/2019 - 14:39
This Gate replaces the previous one, called Imperial Gate , work of the reign of the Catholic Monarchs. It is known by writings in the archive of the City Council that Puerta dicha was commanded of 1796, because it is in a ruinous state that previously underpinned and you can not enter you can see or leave through it. Its state of ruin was due to a large avenue of the river 20 years earlier, which left the foundations of the arch in the air.
The plans and project of the reconstruction are carried out by the Alarife and Master of works of the city of Burgos, Mr. Francisco de Céspedes, commanded by Mr. Manuel Machón Martínez de Mollinedo: General Intendent of the province of Burgos.
07/10/2019 - 14:25
The village of Vadocondes had a walled environment dating back to the 15th century and from which the two doors or arches are preserved, open to the south and west respectively, and which were called covers.The Puerta de Burgos consists of a large half-point arch with large dovelas, dating from the early 16th century.
07/10/2019 - 13:59
Our great natural monument, the Duero River, completely surrounds us. Vadocondes sits on one of his meanders of the middle high course. The municipality is crossed by its waters from east to west.
The villa built a great safeguard in the eighteenth century to defend itself from its comings and goings.
The Douro passes through our municipality with a very gentle slope; of it we use its waters to irrigate with them our crops, the basis of the economy of the people; both by one margin and on the other there are irrigation channels. The Guma or Queen Victoria canal on the left bank and the Aranda canal on its right bank.
Its waters have also been used throughout history to produce electricity in the mills of the village; or to grind grain and turn it into flour. Currently there is a hydroelectric plant in the same enclave of an old mill.